Friday, November 21, 2008

Filmy Chakkar!


Films,especially bollywood films,have always fascinated me right from my childhood.I still remember the days in my childhood when I watched movies on TV,no matter how bad they were.People will find it hard to believe but I have seen movies with names like Gora,Izzat ki Roti and the Gunmaster G9 series movies.The first movie I watched in a theater with my friends was Akele Hum Akele Tum probably in 6th or 7th standard,was feeling very proud then:)

As years passed on,started with college life,movies became a much more regular feature.Bunking the boring lectures and movies with friends had suddenly become a birthright.We have seen the best and worst of movies in our student life.Now today,even after passing out of college and statrting with my professional life,the one thing that hasnt changed much in my life is watching movies.My romance with movies continues,in movie theaters as well as TV. I really dont think that I have paid more than once for a movie to watch a movie in theater,but I do enjoy watching 'n' number re-runs of many movies on TV channels.I may not watch the entire movie everytime,but do watch it in parts.Films like DDLJ,Munnabhai Series,DCH,Lagaan,Swades,Lakshya etc still manage to catch my attention,no matter how many times I have seen them.Equally,I always enjoy watching some madcap movies like No Entry,Welcome,Khosla ka Ghosla etc.
Though I really admire the Hollywood/English movies for their technical superiority and I do occasionally catchup with some english movies as well,I have no qualms in admitting that I relate more to our hindi movies,no matter how silly the scripts are,how unreal the characters are.I dont exactly have a reason for that but it is may be coz you can relate to the actors and characters more.
But the question that has always been in my mind is that do films inspire events in real life or is it the other way around?We see so many things in movies and we comment by saying...OMG,So filmy!!But come on,we are watching a film,so its bound to be filmy. So,I think we should allow them to take that creative freedom and fulfill their two ambitions while making a movie,To entertain you and at the same time laugh all the way to the bank.
We have our health minister asking the superstar of the country to stop smoking on screen coz apparently he is influencing youngsters.I dont quite agree with that.And it is indeed not fair just to try any focus on the negative after-effects of a movie.I think we should be large-hearted enough to accept the positive influences of a movie as well.If that wasnt the case,then I dont think Gandhigiri would not have become such a rage post-Lage Raho Munnabhai.If Laskhya has inspired atleast 10 youngsters to join our Army,then I am sure it has succeeded in its 'Lakshya'.I believe Taare Zameen Par must have inspired and given a new hope to many kids suffering from Dyslexia and of coz their parents. These are just few examples and I am sure my critics would have a considerable number of negative influences of movies as well to tell.But if we insist people to have a positive attitude in life,then why can't we focus on the positive aspects of movies.
To conclude,I want to say that I really hope that my passion for watching movies goes on throughout my lifetime and films keep giving me more and more thoughts for life.And lets just try an watch films only for entertainment and ofcoz get positively influenced by them.Lets give the creative freedom to our film industry and they will continue to do the great job they are currently doing.I hope this filmy chakkar just goes on and on and never breaks :)

1 comment:

Shwetha said...

agreed! a very nice write up. I dont miss any of those good movies either. every time i watch DDLJ, Swades and movies like that i get a shouting from amma. but i dont stop :D